Friday, August 15, 2014

Kindergarten Countdown

It's been a Kindergarten Countdown kind of week at our house. I loved having one last week with Evie before school since Henry started preschool on Monday. This week has felt so long - lots of emotions and lots to accomplish. What a special week it has been! 



Monday: We dropped off Henry at school and then ran a few errands before kindergarten testing. I mentioned earlier this week that we went to Sky High with some friends and that was super fun. Evie loves jumping and I love all the energy she gets out at those places.


Tuesday: Both kids were a bit out of sorts today but it ended up being a wonderful day. We mostly hung out around the house being lazy and enjoying one of our last days of summer. Henry climbed out of his crib which was BIG news and then decided to take a nap. That was a rare treat! Evie and I enjoyed watching a movie together while Henry snoozed. We headed to get Evie's haircut after naps. She had an Elsa braid which thrilled her little heart! Unfortunately, it fell out within minutes of leaving the salon. We stopped by the school on the way home to find out Evie's teacher assignment. It was fun to see everyone! 


Wednesday: Evie and I dropped off Henry and then headed to brunch at First Watch. Evie enjoyed a HUGE pancake and bacon. She is a big fan of bacon just like her Mama! Next, we stopped at Barnes and Noble to get a new book. Of course, she chose book that came with Strawberry Shortcake figures which I do not count as "real" literature but that is just my preference. That book has entertained her all week so I should just let it go!  Evie wanted to invite a neighbor over that is going to Kindergarten too.  Callie and Evie played so well together and I was able to get lots of stuff accomplished. Callie is welcome anytime - what a perfect playmate for Evie! We picked up Henry and waited for Erin to come over to babysit. Carl and I went to a Kindergarten Orientation. It was really fun to see Evie's classroom and meet some of the parents. I thought about different things than most parents because my biggest concern is that her teacher loves her and sparks a lifetime of learning. Reading levels and math facts are not even on my radar yet. My prayer is that Evie's teacher loves her and inspires her because that is more important to me right now. 



Thursday: We were excited to have one more day together and headed to the park with some friends. It was so much fun to enjoy a beautiful morning outside. We headed to Chick Fil A for lunch and I started feeling teary it was our last weekday lunch until October. The poor hostess probably thought I was a crazy mom but my kids were gifted their own cows. Gotta love that customer service!!! We enjoyed the rest of the day playing outside with the boys and then began school preparations. I was a bit teary but excited for this new adventure too.







Friday: Evie woke up ready to go! It was a half day and she had her outfit planned for weeks. We were ready super early which will probably never happen again. I am used to 5.5 years of lazy mornings filled with cuddles, books, favorite shows and lots of coffee. It will take some time to get used to being out the door by 8.  Evie was beaming when we walked into the school. We found her classroom and went on a scavenger hunt to find all the essentials. What a fun idea! Evie quickly made friends with Addison and waved good-bye. I got choked up a few times but never cried - truly remarkable considering I have been pondering kindergarten since April. Henry was next to be dropped off and then it felt really weird to be alone! I came home and did a few things before going to a brunch. It was a last minute decision to go to the brunch but I decided it would be good to see some friends. After brunch, I headed home to straighten the house and wait for Carl. We went to pick Evie up and she had a terrific day! We are so proud of our kindergartner. First day down, 171 more to go until May. It's going to be an amazing year in Kindergarten. 

1 comment:

  1. Evie is growing up! I just think she is the cutest thing. Oh and you are braver than I am...letting Henry do paint! Aubrey probably doesn't even know what paint is! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!