Sunday, April 29, 2012

Week in Review!

Monday: Henry slept until 9 which made us all so happy! Evie and I decided to take advantage of not being home for morning nap so we ran errands. We went to get a few odds and ends for some learning activities around the house. Television is getting out of control in our house. Evie is constantly asking to watch "a show" which then leads to another show. It might be time to go cold turkey for a few days but that seems a bit drastic. Evie needed a hair cut so we did a big girl haircut. She had 3.5 inches cut off and it looks just darling! Everyone tells us that she looks older and it's true.

Tuesday: Evie had school and Henry did not want to nap. So, we made a grocery run and then did some cleaning around the house. I just cannot keep up with laundry, meals, and the clutter that comes with two kids. Carl had a late meeting at work so I was able to skip cooking dinner.

Wednesday: We went to see Cinderella. It was fun but goodness it was so long. Cinderella read two books, then applied tattoo's to each child and then posed for pictures. I am not a fan of tattoos but Evie sure was impressed with her purple sparkly flower. Evie napped all afternoon and then we headed to the park to play with Molly. Most of Evie's friends are second children and I have noticed that parents become much more relaxed with their parenting after the first child. Evie went off with the other girls and played perfectly fine without me hovering. She was covered from head to toe in dirt and soaking wet from playing in the water fountain. It started raining so we made a beeline out of there. Evie does not like rain and the bathroom was "too soundy" there. Evie is not a fan of public restrooms at all! We came home and made french toast for dinner. Henry loved it and Evie requested pancakes instead.

Thursday: Henry was up all night long so morning seemed to come earlier than necessary. He woke up with two new teeth. Evie grew her teeth much more slowly so teething did not really bother her too much. Evie woke up happy and ready to go to school to see Molly. Henry had his sitter and I went to the dentist. Then, met some friends for lunch at Wild Iris. Lots of bloggers have been posting about Chick Fil A's new chocolate chip cookies so I decided to treat myself to one or two or maybe even 6 cookies. Evie and I shared a cookie with milk after school. Bloggers were correct, those cookies are fabulous - soft and chewy yet crunchy too. Carl arrived home earlier than anticipated from St. Louis so we enjoyed a tea party with Evie and then Henry went for a jog with Carl.

Friday: Our day began at 5:45 with Henry waking up first then Evie was awake by 6:30. By 9:30, Henry had already finished his morning nap and Evie polished off breakfast two different times. We needed a day at home after our busy week. I try to leave one day a week free so that we can stay home without rushing to the next place. However, it felt like 3:00 and it was only mid-morning so we did scoot into the library for just a few minutes to get some new DVD's and a few books. I LOVE living so close to the library! We played outside for a bit before lunch. I put Henry in the stroller and was spraying the other stroller with the hose. Little Houdini managed to get himself out of the stroller and was standing next to the stroller when I looked up. Scary! Thankfully, he managed to maneuver onto his feet instead of his head on the concrete driveway. Henry is definitely a lot busier than Evie yet his personality is so much more laid-back. Evie took a super long nap and Henry destroyed the kitchen. It's so funny to me to see how my children change from being easy to more demanding depending on the day. Evie has changed so much in the last few months. She is so independent! Henry is now the one that has to be watched like a hawk as he traverses the downstairs in two seconds flat. It was a rough day with Henry but Evie was a delight so it all balanced out. I had planned to take the kids to the park but decided that seemed like too much adventure for one day. Evie wanted to see her boys so we walked across the street and had a ball with them. We sure are glad they are our neighbors! Carl mowed the grass and I fed the kids. Then, we made shrimp and grits for dinner. That's one of my favorite meals but this version was divine. Bacon makes everything taste better!

Saturday: Henry was still out of sorts but got better as the day progressed. He took a super long morning nap because I was not here. I left Carl with both kids so that meant Henry decided to sleep the entire time that I was gone. Poor little guy! I needed a break and it did me a world of good to get away for a bit. Henry literally woke up the second that I walked in the door. It's like he senses my presence! Both kids napped well and then we set up Evie's big girl bed. Yes, she finally has a bed! We were not in a rush at all since she is such a good sleeper but decided it'd make our vacation easier if she was already accustomed to sleeping in a bed. The C's came over for dinner. It was such a treat to have them over. Our kids played and played. Henry is mesmerized by all the activity. I'd love to know what he is thinking. He tried artichoke dip and chicken tetrazinni - both disappeared off his tray so that counts as a success. Henry eats very little baby food. Maybe 1 or 2 jars per week which is the opposite of Evie as a baby. Evie was very sad for her boys to leave. Bedtime routine commenced soon after they left because we knew it would take a bit since she was in her new bed. That's a whole different post, the transition to the big girl bed!

Sunday: Imagine our surprise when both of our kids slept through the night! It was wonderful especially for Evie's first night in her new bed. They did wake up early but that's manageable when they sleep all night. Henry woke up with a cold. Evie woke up and was already talking about taking a nap in her bed. Let's see how long the enthusiasm for sleeping lasts. It's my Dad's birthday so we called Ipop to wish him Happy Birthday. Evie is getting better about talking on the phone but it is still hit or miss. We did a few things around the house and went to Home Depot for some flowers. It was a total mad house in there! Carl grilled burgers for lunch and we enjoyed dining alfresco. After naps, we headed outside to plant the flowers. Henry went to bed early and I took Evie out for ice cream. My favorite place was closed so we ended up just going to Baskin Robbins. Evie branched out and tried something besides pink ice-cream. She had vanilla with M&M's. It was a fun weekend. They sure do go by too quickly!

NOTE: My card is not loading pictures on my computer so I will add more later!


  1. I can't wait to hear about the transition to the bed. Avery has yet to ask to sleep in hers. I am thinking June since she needs to be in a bed before vacation. Evie's hair is precious and makes her look so grown.

  2. I laughed when I read this because it seems we're going through so many similar things! Laundry, meals and clutter are so hard to keep up with here too. I feel like the house is a constant disaster, yet the second I get a bit of spare time I just want to sit and relax! (which I do, so the house remains a mess).

    Emily is not a fan of public restrooms either. We haven't changed her diaper in a restroom in months! I can only imagine how tough it's going to be when she starts potty training.

    Jessica woke up at 5:30am this morning and was done her first nap by 9:15, just like Henry! Jess has a pretty nasty cold. It kept her up all night.

    And it's exactly the same here -- Jessica is such a laid-back busy girl compared to Emily. There was never a need to put a gate at the bottom of the stairs with Emily, but we're seriously considering one with Jessica because it's the first place she crawls to when we put her down!

    Evie looks adorable with her new haircut!


Thank you for your comment!