Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Henry's Birth Story!



Henry was due on July 9 but we decided to schedule an induction for July 5. I never would have done this the first time around but considering our family lives quite far away it seemed like the best idea for Evie. My doctor did not think that I'd make it to the induction. Henry held on until Nana and Ipop arrived to take care of Evie.


   It felt so weird the night before knowing that Henry would be here the very next day! I was very teary knowing that it was Evie's last night as an only child and that her life would be forever changed. Carl and I went to bed later than usual and woke up early to be at the hospital at 5:30.


     It certainly was different walking into the hospital this time knowing so much more than I did the last time. My nurses started the pitocin around 7:30 and it started working very well. I got an epidural around 9:30. Things got moving pretty quickly. It was so much easier this time! I remember the doctor coming in to tell me it was time to push and I started getting teary - notice the trend with the tears. We were so excited to finally be meeting our baby boy. He arrived within 7 minutes and it was love at first sight. Carl and I were so happy to meet our healthy baby boy. Henry weighed 8 pounds and 6 oz. He was just perfect! We had some time together as a family of three. It was just perfect holding our baby boy! Then, my parents came to meet Henry and Carl went to get Evie along with his parents.


    I had talked to every single person that I know about the best way to introduce your toddler to the new baby. It worked out way better than we expected. We had a present for Evie from Henry and a present for Henry from Evie. Several people had told me to have Henry in his bassinet and be extra excited to see Evie. I was so thrilled to see Evie. She came in and gave me a big hug before asking where her brother was. Carl took her over to see Henry and we talked to her all about her brother. It went really well. She gave him lots of kisses and held him for a bit. Then, she decided it would be more fun to drink some sprite. Then, everyone else came in and lots of pictures were taken. Henry was passed around and everyone agreed that he was adorable just like his sister.


Henry and I enjoyed our time in the hospital together. I missed Carl and Evie a lot! It was wonderful to come home as a family of 4. Henry is two weeks old today. He is the sweetest baby. Evie loves having a baby brother and is so gentle with him. We look forward to lots of fun adventures with our two kids!

2 comments:

  1. I am a fan of pitocin as well and would like to request it next time. I'm so happy things went so well, but more happy that he's here and everyone is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, how sweet :) I'm so glad you had an easy birth with Henry! Well, comparatively. It was still birth, after all. Scheduling the induction is SO weird. You just walk into the hospital to have a baby - going to bed, taking a shower, everything is the *last* time you'll do that before you have the baby. Strange.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!