Thursday, March 22, 2012

Giving it Up!


Paper towels are just fabulous inventions. Don't y'all agree, they are so convenient and accessible when time is of the essence and a mess needs to be cleaned. But the time has come for me to give them up for a week or so. It's just gotten to the point where we use a roll per day and I think it's wasteful. Not to mention, Evie asked someone this week for a papertowel and the mom handed her a sponge. Evie did not even know what it was since we are not sponge-users at our house. So, I bought a large stack of micro-fiber clothes along with a few sponges - pink of course! And my paper towel holder is going on a little vacation to the pantry to keep me from grabbing a handy-dandy paper towel without thinking. I have a feeling this is going to take some getting used to using cloth instead of paper. Farewell, my absorbent little friend, I will miss your assistance more than you know. You take the drips off my children, the drops off my floors and the stickies off my hands. Wish me luck on this endeavour!

4 comments:

  1. good luck!! i am definitely a paper towel addict. we use them for everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK! We have the same issue in our house only my husband is the sole culprit. I scold him all the time for abusing paper products. It got so bad that one time he snapped back that he was a grown man and could waste all the paper towels he wanted. Ooops. Now we compromise. I still use cloth to wipe down the counters at night and clean up liquid spills. I already do so much laundry I just toss them into a load. It's so easy once you get used to it. And Matthew is still free to use paper towels so long as he starts with one sheet at a time. I also clean Wells up with baby wipes after eating. Oh, and not sure if you have a little help with housekeeping, but I will never use anything but papertowels while cleaning a bathroom. It's just a line even I can't cross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Amy! I can't imagine life without them, but I'll be anxious to read your results. If it's a success, I'll have to give it a try. My fear with towels is that I'll run out too quickly. I'll use one for a day then feel it's too dirty to reuse so in the wash it goes! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to do the same thing, but I have a horrible aversion to wet rags, cloths, and sponges! I think I'd never keep up with the laundry, and I'm already not keeping up. Be sure to share your tips and how it goes though, especially how you clean the kids up. Ned switched to cheaper paper towels while he was doing the shopping, so maybe he's trying to tell me something.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!