Friday, January 27, 2012

Week in Review

We have had something to do every day which is a bit much for us. It has been really fun to see our friends. However, I am looking forward to a more laid-back week with very few plans this coming week. We just have school on the calendar for next week and that feels so refreshing.

Henry eating his puffs. Way more end up on the floor than in his mouth. I had forgotten about how hard it is for babies to get tiny things into their mouth.

Henry likes sitting in his big boy chair for dinner.
Monday: We enjoyed a nice morning at home! Henry took a short nap and Evie helped me put away the laundry. Valerie, our photographer, came to take 6 month pictures of Henry and 3 year old pictures of Evie. That was an experience, trying to get two kids ready for pictures along with myself. Then, keeping everyone happy while she took the pictures. We figured out that it worked better for Valerie to take each child separately to take some shots. Kids always do better without their parents even in photography. Valerie used to be an assistant to another photographer that we have used in the past and commented that now she knows why Stephanie needed an assistant. Stephanie is on maternity leave right now. It's always helpful to have an extra pair of hands so Valerie plans to bring an assistant next time. I cannot wait to see the digital files. After naps, we all headed to the doctor for three year and six month check-ups. Henry is in the 75% for his weight and not sure about the height. Evie is in the 75% for her weight and 97% for her height. Carl was there too as I mentioned earlier which helped a lot because we were there a really LONG time to get both kids visits completed.

Tuesday: Evie went to school. Henry and I headed to Nashville to get my cornea checked. I am not exactly sure what the test is supposed to show the doctor but it took less than five minutes to finish up there. Henry slept there and back so he was up for the day when we got home. He has not been sleeping good day or night this week which has been really tough on me. I know that his stomach is bothering him which makes it even harder because sometimes I am not sure what to do. We picked Evie up from school and played outside a bit. It was a beautiful day! Evie asked me if she could take a little rest so she went down for a late nap. Both kids actually slept at the same time! I love it when that happens although it is very rare.

Wednesday: We had a really busy day! That morning, we had our playgroup at Courtney's house. Evie's first question to Campbell -"Campbell, do you like my dress?" Playgroup was really fun. I LOVE that we are doing smaller playgroups because it's not so wild and it's easier to get to know the moms on a more personal level. Have you had the rosemary bagel from Bruegger's? It's so good! We came home for a quick lunch and then nap time. Another little girl in the neighborhood, wanted to come over to help with Evie and Henry. It did not go as well as the Mother's Helper did last week. This little girl is too young and not ready for this quite yet. Maybe in another year or so but for now it just felt like I was babysitting her instead of her helping me with my kids. Then, Courtney and the boys came over for dinner because both of our husbands were working. Evie and the boys had a ball and were wild as usual. All three of them took a spin in the exersaucer which was pretty funny since they are all way too big. Courtney and I could barely finish a conversation and even Henry made a mess. He's loving sitting in his high chair and trying new foods. It makes Carl nervous because Henry chokes a lot more than Evie ever did. It's just part of learning to eat but it can be pretty scary. Evie said, "mommy, why you put your finger in Henry's mouth."

Thursday: Evie was so busy singing her ABC song that she did not fall asleep until late. I had to wake Evie up for school and then she woke up Henry for me. Henry and I dropped Evie off at school then we came home. It was so nice to be at home on a rainy day. Henry napped and I did a few things around the house. Then, I had a doctors appointment. It's been really busy with the doctor appointments this month because I try to do all my annual visits in January. I will have so much more time now that is all taken care of for the year. Evie was so excited to see me after school. We came home and played a bit. She got some mail from Ipop and wanted to go "treasuring" and then we played sleep. That's my favorite game with Evie. She wanted to get out all of Carl's camping supplies so that made it even better. I went to babysit the boys while their parents went out to dinner. Courtney and I decided to try this instead of always using babysitters. It worked out really well! I felt like a 22 year-old college student walking over there to babysit. That's a feeling that I have not had in quite some time. HA! Campbell and Christian were so much fun. We played trains, read books and ate apples. They taught me all about boy stuff like Lightening McQueen and how to build train tracks so that the bridges stay intact. Little boy snuggles are the best and it gives me lots to look forward to with Henry. Courtney is coming over next week for our turn. Why did it take us so long to figure this out?

Evie likes to "punzel" from Henry's crib.

Henry decided to use his arm to punzel.

Treasuring is so much fun!

Evie's hair is a mess because brother likes to pull out her tails which makes her giggle.
Friday: Henry and Evie both slept late again. It was nice at the time but then Henry did not take his morning nap.  Maybe one day, he will eat, sleep and poop more consistently. His medicine has helped some but not like we had hoped. His dosage has been increased which will hopefully do the trick. We went to The Porter's house for lunch and playtime. Kristin made delicious baked ziti which was such a treat! Henry is tolerating dairy again and I have been slowly adding dairy back into my diet for about two weeks. So far everything seems to be okay which makes eating much easier. Evie and Jacob had a blast together. They were being really quiet upstairs so Kristin went to check on them. Evie and Jacob were on the bed playing but they had a Bible with them. That made us laugh! Evie did not want to leave but it was time to attempt feeding Henry and putting him down for a nap. He slept for awhile but not long enough for me. Carl came home to work because he was in the area and it made more sense than going back to the office. He worked at home while Evie napped and I took Henry to run a few errands with me. I got back and tried to feed Henry again and put him down for his nap but he was not interested. Are you seeing a pattern here? He is perfectly content to play but has no interest in eating or sleeping. Our pediatrician explained that he is just literally so full of poop that he does not have room for any food and is so uncomfortable that he is unable to relax enough to sleep. I feel so badly for the little guy. Carl went to pick up a pizza for dinner! My first pizza in nearly 5 months and it was amazing. Pizza is definitely what I missed the most. Evie and Henry both gave us a run for our money at bedtime. I explained to Henry that Mommy is off duty beginning at 7:00. He must not agree because I have been in his room at least a dozen times while typing this post. The good news is that he is finally asleep so I am headed to bed too.


  1. Sounds like such a busy week! Poor Henry, I hope his issues clear up soon. I'm happy you're able to introduce dairy into your diet again!

    It's the same with us -- Jessica's choking/gagging so much more than Emily ever did. Emily was a pro at finger foods right away and gave up on puree very quickly. Jessica gags on anything that has the slightest texture!

  2. Haha! My kids like to have a "Party in the crib" too! It buys me a good 20 minutes free time:)


Thank you for your comment!