Sunday, June 24, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up!

We had a wild weekend filled with a flurry of activity! It was fun activity but just a tad too busy for me.

Friday: Carl picked up pizza on the way home from work. Funny story, we both called in a pizza not even the same pizza. Carl mentioned this to me on the phone and of course I was thinking about the loads of leftovers this would create. Jet's was happy to cancel one of our pizza orders. Problem solved! Too bad, everything is not that easy to fix. Henry went to bed early because he did not nap well at all and Evie stayed up late because she naps a little too well. We worked on "projects" as she calls them. I am working really hard at taming the television. It's too easy to turn it on when I need a few minutes to feed Henry, make a phone call or even do a quick chore. I've really got to work on this! Everything in moderation but Evie is requesting shows even in our van. I am not a fan of using the television in the van except when Henry really needs to sleep. A quiet Evie makes for a sleeping Henry.  I bought her some new project supplies to make this transition easier for us all. She's just as happy using her fishing rod to fish for letters, creating "treasures" with our old junk and playing with my old teaching materials.

Saturday: Henry was up for the day at 5:30 AM and you better believe it that if he watched TV this would have been a perfect time for some television viewing! AHHH, that's way too early for a Saturday. I did get a few things accomplished around the house so that was a plus to my early wake-up call. Henry will sit in his high chair playing with Cheerios and drinking out of his sippy cup for the better part of an hour which is just what he did as I acclimated to my early morning wake up call. Carl and Evie woke up around 7:30 and Henry went down for his nap. Evie went running with Carl and I caught up on my ironing. That's something, I need to do better wih; ironing is my least favorite household chore. Carl took Evie to see Brave and she had a wonderful time going on a date with her Daddy. Carl loved all the snuggles and sharing popcorn with his sweet girl. Henry and I ran a few errands around town. My little guy is a perfectly content shopping companion! We were lucky to find two matching shams for Evie's new big girl bed which was a pleasant surprise then we had a few birthday presents to pick up. Carl called to tell me that Evie was ready to come home because she missed her Mama! I enjoyed a little break from my sweet girl but it's so special to spend my days with Evie even on the hard days. Nap time was easy for both kids and parents. I took Evie to Andrew's Lion King birthday party while Carl stayed home with Henry. It was hot but so fun. Evie had fun jumping in the jumpy house, exploring their garage and playing with all of her favorite boys. We arrived before Campbell and Christian which caused some slight distress with my girl because she was worried they were lost. Stephanie, Andrew's Mama, sent me this pictures today. I need to remember to get some good shots at Henry's party. Evie and I enjoyed ourselves and it is so easy to take just one kid to a birthday party. Then, we had to leave early because Carl and I had a birthday party to attend ourselves. Evie was crying in the van telling me that she forgot to tell my friend, Sarah, goodbye and that she did not tell Mrs. Stephanie, thanks for having her. Evie was quite concerned about these slip-ups but was fine within a few minutes. She's such a sensitive little person and a total people-pleaser just like her Mama! I raced home to put Henry to bed while Carl and Evie chatted with the babysitter. We borrowed her from Courtney and were pleasantly surprised to learn that she is a student at UNC-Chapel Hill. That's not something you hear about too much in Middle Tennessee. Everyone seems to attend Vanderbilt and University of Tennessee in this neck of the woods. Carl and I flew out the door to Red Pony to celebrate Christina's birthday. It was a really fun night filled with delicious food and drink. Shrimp and Grits are always hard for me to pass up so I just decided on them right away rather than over-thinking my dinner selection. I also enjoyed a delicious grilled peach salad and a glass of the most divine wine. The wine was so amazing that I am prepared to track down my own bottle to have on hand. We stayed out way too late considering we have two small children. Time has a way of getting away from us when we are out on the town since we do not get out much these days. Our smoke detector went off in the night which is never fun. Why do those things always need new batteries in the middle of the night? Henry woke up too and before you know it morning has arrived.

Sunday: Carl was kind enough to let me sleep in while he took Henry. We think he may have an ear infection but are waiting to Monday to decide if he needs to go in to see the pediatrician. He's just not himself. Evie  and I slept until almost 9 and then Henry went down for his nap. He was not a happy camper at all. Evie and I worked on some projects, went to the ball located in our living room and ate a late breakfast all while wearing a princess dress complete with her sparkly wand. Costumes like that help her concentrate more on her alphabet and number recognition. Henry woke up after a super short nap and we headed to the pool. Not the best place for a baby with an ear infection but the pediatrician has assured me that water does not impact ear infections. We came home for a quick lunch before nap time. I was so productive during nap time this afternoon and Henry surprised us all with a nap that was over 2 hours long.This thrilled me!  Way to go, Henry! He woke up cranky and nothing was making him happy so we decided to run to Lowe's.We usually go to Home Depot so it was a nice change of scenery to check out a new store. Henry and Evie enjoyed the trip too. We came home and packed a picnic of barbecue for the concert. I'll be honest and say that it's a lot of work to pack a picnic, get everyone ready, load up chairs and coolers but it's worth every minute once we get there especially since it's about a 3 minute trip. Evie is in her element and told me that she was dancing like a princess. She kept us entertained with her dance moves. We commented on her lack of inhibition that she has and how it's unfortunate that we cannot all just lose our inhibitions so easily. Think how much more we could all accomplish if we did not concern ourselves with other people thought. Henry had a few moves of his own, clapping his hands and wiggling his body. The WannaBeatles were the band for the evening and they were really entertaining. Sometimes the hardest things are the best with the reward of sweet memories and sleepy children. I hope that it will always remain fresh in my memory holding Evie on my lap while she stared in awe at the juggling act whispering to me about her dreams. Even if her latest dream is to become a juggler when she grows up! We came home, showered everyone and tucked  the kids in bed. It will not be long before we put ourselves to bed. Weekends are filled with a flurry of activity that can be exhausting but sometimes that just what we need. Hope your week gets off to a fabulous start tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Phew, these weekends are crazy aren't they???!!! But so fun--missed y'all today!


Thank you for your comment!