Sunday, April 18, 2010

It Feels Like Home!

One year ago today, we made the big announcement that we were moving to Tennessee. It seems like yesterday in some ways and in other ways like a lifetime ago. Evie has lived in three houses and multiple hotels in her short 15 months of life. Carl and I were both shocked but ready to make the move work for our family. Tennessee seemed about as foreign to me as China would seem to the average person. I even made up my own lyrics to the song Rockytop. My version went something like this - Rocktop, you'll never be home sweet home to me! Never say never because Rockytop is home to me.

      I had only been to Tennesse once and it was only right over the North Carolina line on a hike back in high school. So, I was not exactly familiar with the Volunteer state. Carl has lived in Knoxville while he was in the fourth grade. Tennessee seemed so far away from North Carolina.That part has not changed. Tennessee is still really far from North Carolina.  Carl and I learned a lot in the process. Here's a few of the most important things we learned: Save all receipts, get your house pre-inspected before you put it on the market, keep copious notes on all things related to the move and quickly become a part of your new community. My biggest piece of advice is to get an idea of how much your house is worth before you accept an offer to move. It gives you a lot more leverage in negotiating with your employer. That was our BIGGEST mistake!I can remember sitting with the real estate agent at the kitchen table going over the data and feeling the pit in my stomach growing larger;  thinking what the heck have we done. Carl and I were totally overwhelmed after that meeting but we were able to figure it out together. Patience is an important part of moving. Maybe even the most important part. Try not to let your emotions impede the action neccesary for change. I even tried to sell our house myself to a couple moving to the area. They looked at our house three different times but ended up renting a home and are now separated. It seemed so dissapointing at the time but there was a plan. Carl's company stepped in and exceeded all of our expectations. They were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. and helped make our transition to becoming official residents of Tennessee as seamless as possible. It took a lot of time to get to this point but it could not have worked out better. Patience really is a virtue!

     Our beautiful house in Charlotte sold in October and we were able to purchase our fabulous new house in early November. It has taken some time but it feels like home to us now. Nashville is a vibrant, fun town focused on family values. There is lots to do without the feeling of living in a big city. We love the beautiful parks, the quaint shopping districts, the live music and the plethora of good places to grab a bite to eat. We are really enjoying our house and our neighbors are just friendly enough without being overbearing. Evie and I have made a lot of friends which keeps our days filled with fun. Carl is enjoying is job and continues to succeed at work. We definitely made the right decision for our family. Now, that's not to say that it has been smooth sailing everyday because that is certainly not the case. We miss being close to our family and friends and Tennessee is a LONG way from the beach. Time takes care of most everything in life. It feels good to be home.

2 comments:

  1. You've got the best attitude about moving! We may have the beach, but thats about it. I envy all your shopping, live music and lots of new friends to make! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have found "home" in Tennessee. I love it, course I am partial!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!